It's that time of year again: back to friends, new teachers, homework, and learning! While your kids may be really excited, you might be feeling a bit stressed, having to get everything together and making sure they have what they need for the start of the new year. To help you out, we're sharing a list of some of our go-to back to school essentials. Happy shopping!
Back to School Shopping Guide: What You Need
- Backpack: If your child is due for a backpack, there's no better time than going during this season when the options are bountiful! Make sure that you find a backpack that's the right size/height for your child.
- Lunchbox: Another special purchase that you will use a ton if your child is bringing is or/her own lunch. Have them pick out their favorite lunchbox, making sure that it has ample storage space and offers proper insulation.
- Water bottle: If the lunchbox you find doesn't come with one, you'll one for the season. We like water bottles that are BPA-free, made of stainless steel and spill-proof.
- School supplies: This varies by age but generally includes pencils, paper, notebooks, crayons, folders, binders, ruler, construction paper, markers, glue, erasers, calculators, and more. While this is a lot to shop for, there are also tons of sales during this time of year. Look online for savings starting now through September.
- Pencil box: A fun way for your child to to store their pencils, markers or pens, pick out that's functional and durable.
- Calendar/organizer: This is a great option for older kids where they chart their activities and stay on top of their homework.
- Socks: A fall and winter must-have, we love socks, like our Sonya Girls Socks,that offer breathability and comfort to little toes.
- Shirts: Stock up on a collection of t-shirts, long-sleeve shirts for the fall. Make sure you have enough tanks like our Emma Girls Camisole and tees like our Hannah Girls Tunic Top for late August-early September when it's still pretty warm out.
- Shorts: While you may still have shorts from the summer, you might need some new ones for their after school activities like our Ella Dance Shorts for gymnastics or dance.
- Leggings: Another cooler weather favorite are comfortable leggings. Great to wear as is or under dresses or skirts, our Jada Leggings offer the ultimate in breathability, stretch, durability, and comfort!
- Rainy Day Essentials: Squash those rainy day blues by being ready for the inevitable. This includes rain boots, a rain jacket, and umbrella.
- Winter Essentials: While we don't want to think about it, winter will be here before we know it! Make sure you're ready by getting your child a winter jacket, boots and sweaters that are a must for the colder season.
- Sneakers: An essential for school and play, have your child's food remeasured for the start of the new school year. This might also include a light slip on shoe, boots, and/or sandals.
- Underwear: A good start of the season, is to stock up with around 10-14 pairs of comfy undies like our Liam Boxer Briefs for boys or our Annika Girls Boyshorts for girls.
What are the go-to items that you look for when you're doing your back to school shopping?
By Serena Norr. Serena creates digital and social media content for a wide range of brands and businesses. She develops multi-media marketing strategies, and manages content across a variety of platforms. Serena is the curator for The Moms Network in Northern Westchester, New York, so she keeps current on all things mom-related and she brings this knowledge and experience to the Lucky & Me blog.