Girls Love Leggings
Girls’ leggings are the number 1 style choice this year! The popularity of leggings for girls has grown steadily. Leggings are now the most basic item in any girl’s closet, after underwear. It is easy to see why girls, and moms, love leggings. Girls’ leggings are comfy, cozy, and extremely versatile – they go with everything!
9 Out of 10 Girls Wear Leggings to School
Seriously, this was not a Reuters Poll, just me, counting the number of girls in the second grade class where I work. I’ve noticed over the last year that more and more girls are wearing leggings to school – but I didn’t count them until yesterday. And the fact is, 9 out of the 10 girls in our class were wearing leggings. They wore black leggings, flowered leggings, leggings with hearts on them, navy blue leggings, pink leggings, and my personal fav – leggings covered in cats!
Are Leggings Pants?
Who cares if leggings are pants or not? The controversy over whether leggings are appropriate attire for school, work, the subway, or even an airplane, is over. Leggings have won. Women and girls everywhere have declared victory and are wearing their leggings anywhere, anytime, and everywhere!
Leggings – A Brief History
Did you know leggings were first worn by Scottish men under their kilts? The kilt didn’t catch on, but leggings became popular with men in Europe and America. Over the years, they evolved from the original leather and chain mail 2-legged versions (ouch!) to more comfortable knitted materials. Audrey Hepburn popularized the leggings look for women in the 1950’s. The modern woman loved the comfort and chic style of her cropped, tighter-fitting pants.
The Beauty of Spandex
Leggings really took off with the invention of Lycra by DuPont. Lycra, generically known as spandex, has the ability to stretch and recover, over and over. The first pair of leggings made with Lycra debuted in 1959, and banished baggy knees forever! Spandex can be found in most girls’ leggings, providing a comfy and stretchy fit all day long.
Spandex is the reason why leggings have taken over our closets, and our girls’ closets. Girls’ leggings today combine incredible comfort with all-day wearability. This means they can go from the playground – to the classroom – to a wild game of Capture the French Fry in physical education and then to a play date after school. The modern, spandex-infused legging keeps its shape through it all.
10 Reasons Girls Love Leggings
- Leggings are so comfy! The fabric is soft and smooth and it stretches.
- Leggings keep their shape all day long.
- Leggings work for all active girl activities – from gym class to a playground game of 4-square. From sitting criss-cross applesauce on the classroom rug, to after-school gymnastics practice. Leggings do it all.
- Girls wear leggings under skirts so they can do cartwheels and somersaults without showing off their underwear.
- Leggings are warm…and cool. Many are made from fabrics that are warm enough for sitting in a cool classroom, and also wick sweat and provide cooling for the active times of playground games, sports, and physical education.
- Leggings come in lots of fun colors and patterns! Girls’ leggings come in a wide variety of choices to match any outfit, and please even the most fussy of children.
- Leggings pull down and pull up so easily, making bathroom breaks easy peasy!
- Girls prefer leggings to tights– they don’t slide down and bunch around the ankles. And they don’t bind around the waist.
- Girls feel more grown up in leggings.
- Leggings are fashionable!
Bonus Reasons Girls Love Leggings:
- Leggings are softer and more comfortable than jeans. And they come in a variety of fabrics so they can be snug or loose. They’re perfect for girls with extra sensitivity.
- Leggings layer and go with anything! Wear them with a plain or graphic tee, a patterned blouse, under shorts or a dress – for today’s girls, anything goes!
Let us know why your girl loves leggings! We’d love to know – and add to our list.
Liz Smith has worked across the globe for many of the world’s major apparel brands, including Victoria’s Secret, Chico’s, Justice, and Hanes. She has earned thousands of airline points and worn out several suitcases visiting factories in more than 20 countries to ensure that production is of the highest standard. Liz has managed all aspects of garment production, from design through fabric development to sewing and merchandising– so she knows what it takes to make high-quality apparel. Liz is thrilled to share her knowledge about clothes to help discerning customers choose the finest products.